Fun Bookbinding Creative Workshop
This creative workshop includes activities for teenagers and younger people alike dealing with the art of bookbinding. It is an exciting and informative workshop that teaches participants how to make several types of sketchbooks. There are three bookbinding techniques and, depending on the length of workshop desired, just one or all three of the techniques can be covered.
Of our many art workshops to choose from, this workshop helps students create their own hand-crafted sketchbooks, which can be enjoyed personally or as a gift. Once bookbinding techniques are learned, students can retain that knowledge, use it in the future and hopefully expand on it. Bookbinding is a wonderful, satisfying craft that comprises techniques from many different cultures and civilizations.
This bookbinding workshop would be a perfect accompaniment to any of our art, design or resistant materials creative workshops. It would also compliment any course on recycling as well.
What happens in this art workshop?
- This art workshop will be led by the talented Sarah Terry. She will start with an introduction about herself and her artwork, and then continue on to explain how hard work, perseverance and passion helped her achieve her goals.
- She will show the group a range of inspirational bookbinding examples to enliven students about the creative workshop.
- The group will be introduced to the different types of bookbinding and learn how they can be used to complement current projects.
- A demonstration of bookbinding techniques will follow, involving group participation.
- Students will have the opportunity to create a book, or several, depending on the length of the workshop. Their book can incorporate plain paper or work that students have previously made (as in a papermaking or drawing workshop). Sarah will be offering technical support and inspiring new ideas to help students get the most out of this workshop.
- Students will have a chance to get together and present the books that they have made, with an open discussion of how the bookbinding techniques can be used in future projects.
What areas does this creative workshop cover on the national curriculum?
This bookbinding workshop is useful for any type of cultural awareness or international education, as it explores the time-honored traditions of bookbinding which originated all across the globe. As a cross-curricular workshop, it can be linked to lessons in history as well as other courses we offer, such as design and technology. In addition, courses on environmental awareness become relevant, especially alongside our papermaking workshop.
Since Sarah runs her own business, this workshop can easily be tailored to business and enterprise education. With peer-to-peer learning through group tutorials, this art workshop can serve well as a way to educate one another on a multitude of disciplines.
What will young people get from this art workshop?
- An opportunity to unleash their creativity.
- A chance to learn a unique and useful skill that can be utilised for many different purposes.
- A handout in which students can refer to the techniques learned and the equipment necessary to continue their newly-learned skill at home.
- Increased problem solving skills, as they are encouraged to identify and overcome their own adversities; Sarah will be present to support and encourage students.
- A higher respect for the opinions of others, as well as creating a more open environment to share ideas with one another, receive positive feedback and give and receive constructive criticism.
- The chance to receive advice and support on their work from a practicing artist.
- A boost in self-confidence when they see the professional finish they can achieve with just a few simple tools.
- A whole lot of fun!
What do young people say about this workshop?
“I can't believe how professional my sketchbook looks.” – Julie, age 16
“I love how I can make my own diaries now.” – Natalie, age 14
"Sarah helped me create a book that I'm really proud of." - Sanford, age 13
What sizes does this workshop come in?
For these art workshops we offer three different sizes:
- Two hour sessions - In these short sessions the students create a simple sewn notebook and/or concertina books.
- Half day sessions - Our half day art workshops help the students create their own Japanese bookbinding.
- Full day sessions - With a full day, participants are able to build a simple sewn notebook and concertina book, as well as complete Japanese bookbinding.
- As an after school project, bookbinding can easily be combined with papermaking and drawing. The art workshops for schools can be tailored to fit specific needs.
How many young people can this creative workshop accommodate?
This art workshop can accommodate a maximum of 15 students. However, the workshop can be broken down into two sessions (morning and evening) to accommodate additional students can participate.
Like the sound of this workshop?
Then you might also like to check out our other creative workshops:
Or our other activities for teenagers:
Contact us about this art workshop
Our workshops can vary in cost, so please provide us with some more information eg, numbers, location and the workshop you are interested in and we will provide you with a personal quote.
We are very proud to say that we always aim to beat our competitor's costs whilst providing first class practitioners who will inspire and engage the young people they are delivering too! (Just take a look at our testimonials)
Workshops & activities suitable for:
Young People , Adults, Brownies & Girl Guides, Community Groups, Curriculum Enrichment workshop, Further Education, Housing Associations, Key Stage 2 - Workshops for Primary Schools, Key Stage 3 - Workshops for Secondary Schools, Key Stage 4 - Workshops for Secondary Schools, Libraries & Museums, NEETS, PRUs, SEN, Teacher Training, YOTS, Youth Organisations
Contact us about this workshop
This workshop is available across the north of England and much of the rest of the country. We can also create a workshop especially for you – taking your budget, timeframes and location into consideration.
To find out more, please take a minute to complete the form below.
* Denotes required field.