Science & Music youth workshop - Noisy boxes
This Science and Music workshop gives young people the opportunity to create the most basic test circuit, and then make additions to it, using it creatively to explore the acoustic potential of different objects.
Each group is given a box-of-tricks, which contains components such as batteries, mini-speakers, fans, leads and acoustic objects. Almost all of the components have been salvaged from old computers. Groups can decide which components and objects to use, making their own instruments, they will then perform to the other groups, finishing with a collaborative sound-scape jam.
What areas does this Science & Music workshop cover on the national curriculum?
- Cross curricular activities combining creative and technical subjects.
- Boosting subject profiles of Sciences, Design and Technology, and Music.
- Multi-sensory activities appeal to all types of learners.
What will young people get from this Science & Music workshop?
- A 'hands-on' experiment of audio electronics, focusing on the fundamental basics of what sound is, what circuits are and how amplifiers and speakers actually work.
- An understanding of how sound and vibrations work, aided by hands-on experimentation and multi-sensory equipment.
- Group rhythm and music making activities that aid communication, expression and teamwork.
- Practical experience of using simple electrical circuits, connections and devices such as amplifiers and microphones.
What do young people say about this Science & Music workshop?
- "We made different experiments with the boxes and made our own sound machines" -Max aged 10.
- "I liked it when we scraped the nail and you could see sparks when it made a scratchy sound" –Jessica aged 10.
- "When we learned how to connect everything we could make our own noisy things with the bits of metal and springs" –Mahmood aged 10.
How many people can attend this Science & Music workshop, and when?
- Maximum of 20 people at one time
- A one or two hour introduction
- Half day or full day workshop
- Can be completely flexible
Like the sound of this workshop?
Then you might also like to check out our other Noisy Science workshops:
Or our fun fashion and design workshops:
Contact us about this Science & Music workshop
Our workshops can vary in cost, so please provide us with some more information eg, numbers, location and the workshop you are interested in and we will provide you with a personal quote.
We are very proud to say that we always aim to beat our competitor's costs whilst providing first class practitioners who will inspire and engage the young people they are delivering too! (Just take a look at our testimonials)
Workshops & activities suitable for:
Young People , Brownies & Girl Guides, Community Groups, Curriculum Enrichment workshop, Further Education, Key Stage 2 - Workshops for Primary Schools, Key Stage 3 - Workshops for Secondary Schools, Key Stage 4 - Workshops for Secondary Schools, NEETS, PRUs, Teacher Training, YOTS, Youth Organisations
Contact us about this workshop
This workshop is available across the north of England and much of the rest of the country. We can also create a workshop especially for you – taking your budget, timeframes and location into consideration.
To find out more, please take a minute to complete the form below.
* Denotes required field.