Personal Development Shout Out About Your Skills
Employers are looking to hire young people who can confidently express themselves in an interview and who are aware of their own strengths. Our personal development workshop will encourage young people to highlight their own best traits and portray themselves in a positive light to their future employers.
What happens in this Personal Development workshop?
- These school workshops will begin with basic drama games and warm ups which will allow the young participants to get to know each other.
- The group will be encouraged to discuss “what have you done that you are really proud of?” which offers the students a chance to share their accomplishments.
- The group takes to the stage for an introductory drama workshop exercise which encourages them to portray their emotions in physical form and think in abstract terms about using their bodies in performance.
- The participants then use their abstract physical theatre skills to create “physical pictures” which show off something that they like about themselves. This teaches them to be aware of their own skills and to positively portray themselves to others.
- The final activity in this drama workshop is a humorous game which gives the participants experience for future job interviews. The group divides into pairs and take turns interviewing each other for imaginary jobs. The participants must sell themselves for the improbable job without lying, giving them the chance to “shout about their skills” and promote themselves in a light-hearted and fun way.
What areas does this Personal Development workshop cover on the national curriculum?
These school workshops can be aligned to the following subjects in order to target specific National Curriculum Guidelines:
KS 3 and 4
- Understanding that everyone has a ‘career'.
- Developing a sense of personal identity for career progression.
- Understanding the qualities, attitudes and skills needed for employment.
- Understanding how to make creative and realistic plans for transition.
- Key points included in this workshop are: Physical theatre, abstract work, role play, improvisation.
What will young people get from this Personal Development workshop?
- Increased confidence and awareness of their individual abilities and strengths.
- The ability to perceive themselves in a positive way and transmit this outwards.
- The skills to handle a job interview situation.
- Drama skills, especially physical theatre, improvisation and role play.
- An awareness of the importance of non-verbal communication.
- The realization that everyone has unique skills and strengths and that these should be valued.
A memorable and light-hearted approach to employment.
The positive feeling of being appreciated for what they are good at.
What do young people say about this Personal Development workshop?
“I learnt how to show my emotions and how to talk and approach an interview.” Jake aged 15.
“I enjoyed that I could be myself and I learnt how I can show my emotions without saying/ telling someone.” Alex aged 15.
What sizes does this Personal Development workshop come in?
These are 45 Minute Stand Alone School Workshops. If more depth is required on certain themes the workshop can be extended, the practitioner who runs this workshop will tailor the workshop plan to the groups needs.
Full Day School Workshops – allows for several sessions throughout the day.
How many young people can this Personal Development workshop accommodate?
This drama workshop can accommodate up to 20 students within the 45 minute time scale. If additional numbers are needed, the time scale must be extended.
Like the sound of this workshop?
You might also like our other drama and peformance workshops:
Or try out one of our fun comedy classes:
Contact us about this Personal Development workshop
Our workshops can vary in cost, so please provide us with some more information eg, numbers, location and the workshop you are interested in and we will provide you with a personal quote.
We are very proud to say that we always aim to beat our competitor's costs whilst providing first class practitioners who will inspire and engage the young people they are delivering too! (Just take a look at our testimonials)
Workshops & activities suitable for:
Young People , Brownies & Girl Guides, Community Groups, Curriculum Enrichment workshop, Housing Associations, Key Stage 4 - Workshops for Secondary Schools, NEETS, PRUs, SEN, YOTS, Youth Organisations
Contact us about this workshop
This workshop is available across the north of England and much of the rest of the country. We can also create a workshop especially for you – taking your budget, timeframes and location into consideration.
To find out more, please take a minute to complete the form below.
* Denotes required field.