Recycled Fashion Workshop - Gok Wan Style
Young people will view second-hand clothes in a different light after spending time on this Recycled Fashion Workshop
Our Recycled Fashion Workshop will show your young people how stunning fashion items can be created from cast-away clothing.
And your group will jump at the chance to put a ‘Gok Wan style' twist on a cast-away item with the help of workshop leader and SSS founder Sissy Rooney
What happens on the Recycled Fashion Workshop?
- An inspirational motivational talk from Sissy about her path from troubled teen to pro-designer – explaining how with passion, creativity and perseverance, the young people can go far in life… no matter how difficult their background
- Sissy gives a quick PowerPoint presentation explaining why recycling is important and giving examples of cool products made from recycled materials
- Sissy shows off fab ‘Gok Wan style' clothing designs created in past workshops – this will inspire the young people and get them thinking creatively
- Your young people get introduced to the materials they'll be using to customise their clothing item – these include fabric spray paints, stencils, fabric pens, crayons and a treasure trove of embellishment materials
- The group start working on their ideas, trying out the materials and experimenting with techniques such as hand and machine stitching, tucking and darting, and slashing and plating
- The finishing touches are applied to the designs and Sissy stages a mini photo-shoot to preserve the moment for posterity
What do young people get out of the Recycled Fashion Workshop?
- The opportunity to get creative and express themselves in a fun and easy-going workshop environment where all opinions are encouraged
- Hands-on experience of the fashion and design process with a focus on ethically re-vamping clothes, instead of binning them
- A chance to explore the idea of pursuing a career in fashion and an insight into the skills and qualities required
- An opportunity to share their ideas, engage in peer-to-peer praise rather than peer pressure… and develop their communication and presentation skills
- Increased respect for the opinions and ideas of others – and a sense of how this feedback can be used to improve their initial concept
- The raised self-confidence levels that come with having an idea and then seeing it brought to life
- A whole lot of fun!!
Video of a project we ran for Old Trafford Housing Association
What sizes does the Recycled Fashion Workshop come in?
This workshop can run for a full day, or be condensed into half a day or a two-hour session.
Plus it can be combined with our
How many young people can the RecycledFashion Workshop accommodate?
We recommend that groups are limited to fifteen young people or fewer on this Recycled Fashion Workshop. This way, Sissy can spend time helping everyone. It can also be run as a morning and afternoon workshop with two small groups.
What do young people say about the Recycled Fashion Workshop?
- “I loved turning my old clothes in to stylish new ones” – Sarah 15
- “I didn't think it would be so easy to recycle my old t-shirt" – Victoria 16
- “Im going to do this to all of my old clothes” – Michelle 14
Contact us about the Recycled Fashion Workshop
Our workshops can vary in cost, so please provide us with some more information eg, numbers, location and the workshop you are interested in and we will provide you with a personal quote.
We are very proud to say that we always aim to beat our competitor's costs whilst providing first class practitioners who will inspire and engage the young people they are delivering too! (Just take a look at our testimonials)
Workshops & activities suitable for:
Young People , Arts Award, Brownies & Girl Guides, Community Groups, Curriculum Enrichment workshop, Further Education, Housing Associations, Key Stage 2 Schools, Key Stage 3 Schools, Key Stage 4 Schools, Kids Parties & Events, Libraries & Museums, NEETS, Over 50's, PRUs, SEN, Teacher Training, YOTS, Youth Organisations
Contact us about this workshop
This workshop is available across the north of England and much of the rest of the country. We can also create a workshop especially for you – taking your budget, timeframes and location into consideration.
To find out more, please take a minute to complete the form below.
* Denotes required field.