Science & Music Youth Workshop - Noisy Junk
This science and music workshop is an ideal opportunity to help young people find out how easy it is to produce strange and funny sounds from everyday objects.
This workshop gives young people the opportunity to make use of the many materials people throw away every day, such as everyday objects like bins and pans, to electrical products like radios.
In this workshop, students will get to make instruments and then use them in a noisy junk-jam, learning to play beats and create interesting music together. They will also find out why they sound like they do, looking at the sound-waves on a screen and experimenting with vibrations.
Instruments can be kept and taken home at the end of the science and music workshop, for the cost of the materials, which is £5.
What will young people get from this workshop?
- An understanding of how sound and vibrations work, aided by hands-on experimentation and multi-sensory equipment.
- Group rhythm and music making activities that aid communication, expression and teamwork,
- Practical experience of using simple electrical circuits, connections and devices such as amplifiers and microphones.
- Zany noisy fun!
What do young people say about this workshop?
- "I made a drum with a saucepan and it goes DONG!!! really loud when you turn it up"– Josh aged 11.
- "We learnt about how sound works and the sound waves and we made our own music"– Leah aged 13.
- "I learnt how to put microphones on bits of metal and make instruments and then we learnt some beats and played them on our instruments" – Kane aged 11.
- "There was a spring and when you tapped it went 'ZAP!' and made me jump!"- Nicole aged 9.
What areas does it cover on the national curriculum?
- Cross curricular activities combining creative and technical subjects.
- Boosting subject profiles of Sciences, Design and Technology and Music.
- Multi-sensory activities appeal to all types of learners.
How many people can attend the workshop, and when?
- Maximum of 15 people at a time but more than one session can be run.
- A 1-2 hour introduction, or as a mini project of 6-12 hours.
- Can be completely flexible – run in one go or in two parts.
- Can also be combined effectively with our other Noisy box workshop.
Like the sound of this workshop?
Then you might also like to check out our other Noisy Science workshop:
Or our popular fashion and design workshops:
Contact us about the workshop
Our workshops can vary in cost, so please provide us with some more information eg, numbers, location and the workshop you are interested in and we will provide you with a personal quote.
We are very proud to say that we always aim to beat our competitor's costs whilst providing first class practitioners who will inspire and engage the young people they are delivering too! (Just take a look at our testimonials)
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/streetss/public_html/includes/body.php on line 60
Workshops & activities suitable for:
Young People , Brownies & Girl Guides, Community Groups, Curriculum Enrichment workshop, Housing Associations, Key Stage 2 Schools, Key Stage 3 Schools, Key Stage 4 Schools, Libraries & Museums, NEETS, PRUs, SEN, YOTS, Youth Organisations
Contact us about this workshop
This workshop is available across the north of England and much of the rest of the country. We can also create a workshop especially for you – taking your budget, timeframes and location into consideration.
To find out more, please take a minute to complete the form below.
* Denotes required field.