Mural Painting Workshop for Schools and Youth Groups
Street Style Surgery has the big picture in mind with its creative workshops for schools, and so should your students. Get them thinking large with this mural painting art workshop. We have two professional muralists with their individual styles and methods to teach students in the art workshops how to create their own murals as a group.
Matt conducts a workshop that aims to create a large-scale painting, which reflects a given subject matter by teaching pupils the techniques of mural creation and guiding them as a group to paint their mural.
With four overhead projectors displaying images that students have selected, pupils are encouraged to use these as a starting point for the mural, make mistakes, overcome their fears of erring, and become experimental and confident in their painting.
Jo conducts a workshop that can produce a mural, board or banner. The group of students see examples of paintings from previous workshops, and are then introduced to materials and the methods to create the paintings. Once they have created their own design, and pupils create their own large-scale paintings using a sponging technique with masking tape.
Both of these art workshops broaden the scope of creative learning experiences, foster a collaborative atmosphere and positive interpersonal relationships. They teach new artistic and interpersonal skills, and develop confidence and self-esteem within students.
These are two creative workshops for schools that encourage innovative thinking and personal development – little details that create an impressive large painting.
What happens during this mural painting art workshop?
- Matt's Workshop
- Jo's Workshop
- In this workshop, a subject matter is selected either prior to the workshop or based on images selected by the students. Matt will teach students fundamental mural-painting techniques, such as scale and repetition of images, colour outlines, silhouetting, overlapping, and uses of mixed media.
- Four overhead projectors are set up with four different images at any given time that are selected by students. As the painting develops, he will advise pupils on composition and light, using his own practice as a reference for pupils. Mistakes are not only welcome but encouraged in order to develop a sense of comfort in painting and spur on experimentation.
- In this workshop, Jo begins by showing some work from previous workshops as a source of creative inspiration. She then follows with an introduction to the materials students will use; acrylic paint, masking tape, boards and canvas banners.
- She demonstrates how to create a piece of artwork from an original design and then allows the group time to create technical working sketches of the design they want to make. With an overhead projector, students draw their designs and then mask out areas with masking tape with Jo's assistance.
- Students paint up the boards or banners with a sponging technique and remove the masking tape to reveal the final product.
What will young people get from this mural painting art workshop?
- An understanding of a wide range of painting techniques and material processes.
- A broader scope of creative learning experiences.
- The opportunity to be creative and express themselves in a fun and easy going environment where all opinions and ideas are encouraged and welcomed.
- New skills and bolstered talent through work with new materials and professional artists.
- Communication with collaborative group work.
- Presentation skills with project proposals and completion.
- Confidence through group collaboration, interaction, and practice, despite previous experience.
- A sense of experimentation and creative exploration.
What do people say about this mural painting art workshop?
“Matt worked at Waterside Arts Centre on two sessions with a Primary and a Secondary school as part of a programme of events linked to the Splinter Group exhibition. Matt prepared the sessions thoroughly and arrived on time and kept to our budget for materials."
"His sessions were well researched and he engaged the groups extremely well, utilizing a combination of effective communication skills with practical demonstrations. Both sets of teachers were very impressed and the school children enjoyed the day. I would recommend Matt to you unreservedly and we hope to employ him on other activities in the future”
Julie Clarke, Visual Arts Officer, Waterside Arts Centre
"Matt worked on a brief visual art project with Creative Partnerships at Accrington Academy. His approach to working with both staff and students was excellent, and thoroughly engaging, and he was equally organised and efficient."
"The work he produced with the students (60 year 7-10 students) was outstanding, engaging the students in a really collaborative process, whilst producing an excellent (and enormous) piece of work that the students were incredibly proud of having made. I look forward to working with Matt again in the near future."
Jez Dolan, Curious Minds
What sizes does this mural painting workshop come in?
The length of this school workshop is usually about a day long. A shorter workshop is available, but the mural will decrease in size.
The number of students wanting to participate and the size of the painting dictate the preferred length of the workshop.
How many young people can face painting accommodate?
This creative workshop for schools can accommodate up to 12- 15 participants at a time.
This is a very specialist workshop. Groups can be rotated so the session can accommodate more pupils. It can be split into 2 halves of the day to include more people.
Like the sound of this?
Then you might like to check out our other art workshops:
Or our other creative arts workshops:
Contact us about this mural painting art workshop
Our workshops can vary in cost, so please provide us with some more information eg, numbers, location and the workshop you are interested in and we will provide you with a personal quote.
Street Style Surgery Fees (unless otherwise stated)
Full day rate £190 to £260 *
Half day rate £140.00 to £170.00 *
One hour taster sessions £45 to £70 *
* excluding materials/travel expenses
We are very proud to say that we beat our competitors cost hands down! Take a look for yourself.
Full day rate £315.00 *
Half day rate £195.00 2 hours max *
One hour taster sessions £130.00 *
* excluding materials/travel expenses
To find out more, please take a moment to complete the form below – be sure to complete all fields marked with * as these are required as a minimum
Workshops & activities suitable for:
Young People , Adults, Brownies & Girl Guides, Community Groups, Housing Associations, Key Stage 2 Schools, Key Stage 3 Schools, Key Stage 4 Schools, Libraries & Museums, NEETS, PRUs, SEN, YOTS, Youth Organisations
Contact us about this workshop
This workshop is available across the north of England and much of the rest of the country. We can also create a workshop especially for you â€“ taking your budget, timeframes and location into consideration.
To find out more, please take a minute to complete the form below.
* Denotes required field.